Grafton in Taylor County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Merchants & Mechanics Savings Bank
The Merchants & Mechanics Bank was organized on May 21, 1891 and opened its doors for business on June 28, 1891. This building, which sits on the former site of early Grafton settler Eugene McClain's house and livery barn, was built in 1894. It was also home to B.F. Bailey's legal offices as well as Mrs. F.O. Purly's school for shorthand, stenography, and typing. In 1902, Civil Engineer John Hughes and Dentist Dr. Hansen Jarrett also had offices here. Like many financial institutions, the M&M Bank failed in 1930 and closed its doors. It was subsequently purchased by Abe Tacket and George Coulson in 1937.
Loar's Jewelers opened here in 1947 after its previous showroom in the Brinkman Block was destroyed by fire in May of that year. The business was established in 1889 by G.W. Loar and a Mr. Keefover; the Coulson family bought into the firm in 1936. The store closed for good in 1984.
The structure is fashioned of bricks and cut stone in the Neo Romanesque Revival architecture style. The tower was originally capped with a conically shaped roof or "witch's hat."
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is May 21, 1891.
Location. 39° 20.478′ N, 80° 1.251′ W. Marker is in Grafton, West Virginia, in Taylor County. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 119) just east of Latrobe Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located at the front entrance to the Taylor County Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 W Main St, Grafton WV 26354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jolliffe Building (a few steps from this marker); The First Campaign (a few steps from this marker); Brinkman Block (a few steps from this marker); Gough Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Loar Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Colerider Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Grafton (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome To Historic Grafton West Virginia (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grafton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 178 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 19, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.