Cleburne in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church, Cleburne
Methodism began in Johnson County during the 1850s when Simeon Odem (Odom) held camp meetings near Grandview; Rev. Jeremiah Easterwood is credited with holding the first Methodist service in the area later to become Cleburne in 1852. A Methodist church was organized ca. 1869, and at that time Mr. and Mrs. B.J. Chambers donated three lots in block 13 of the town of Cleburne for the construction of Cleburne Methodist Episcopal Church, South, just two years after the town's founding. Although the cornerstone was laid in 1869, the building was used by the congregation unfinished for several years. Horsedrawn vehicles moved parts of the original structure to Main and Brown streets, where a new building was erected in 1902. At that time, the church took the name Main Street Methodist Church. In 1966, the congregation purchased land at the corner of Westhill Drive and Colonial Avenue and a new church structure was consecrated at the location. The church became known as First Methodist Church; the term "United" was added to the name in 1968. The 1966 building was destroyed by fire in 1976 and a new structure was completed in 1978.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15727.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 32° 19.912′ N, 97° 24.662′ W. Marker is in Cleburne, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Westhill Drive and Colonial Drive, on the left when traveling east on West Westhill Drive. The marker is located near the parking lot of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 West Westhill Drive, Cleburne TX 76033, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Texas World War II Home Front (approx. half a mile away); Yellow Jacket Stadium (approx. 0.9 miles away); Southwest Metroplex Baptist Association (approx. one mile away); Joiner - Long House Field Street Baptist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Alton Meeks Stricklin (approx. 1½ miles away); Johnson County (approx. 1½ miles away); AT&SF Steam Locomotive #3417 (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleburne.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.