Weston Masonic Lodge
The Weston Lodge Number 22 of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons was organized in Littleton in 1872. It was named for Allyn Weston, a Harvard graduate who had published a Masonic magazine in Detroit before moving to Colorado in 1860 to practice law in Central City. For $200 a year, the lodge rented the second floor of J. D. Hill's general store. The Masons were caretakers of the Littleton Cemetery from the 1860's to 1888.
As the lodge membership grew to 112 by 1913, fundraising for new quarters was instigated. In 1920 Ivy Hunt donated the building site at what is now 5718 South Rapp Street. The Grand Lodge of Colorado laid the cornerstone on April 23, 1921. Harry Thomas of Englewood designed the building, a two-story red fired brick structure. The first floor was devoted to entrance halls, club, kitchen and a banquet room. The second floor contained anterooms and the meeting hall.
The Classical Revival brick building boasts a number of interesting and intricate architectural features. Perhaps most noticeable is the checkerboard, variegated brick work with the Masonic symbol (compass, square and G) inset above the classical
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 39° 36.788′ N, 105° 1.208′ W. Marker is in Littleton, Colorado, in Arapahoe County. Marker is at the intersection of South Rapp Street and West Littleton Boulevard, on the right when traveling south on South Rapp Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5718 South Rapp Street, Littleton CO 80120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. D. Hill General Store (here, next to this marker); A Memorial to the Pioneers (within shouting distance of this marker); Littleton, Colorado Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Good, The Bad, and the Hungry (approx. ¼ mile away); Rough and Ready (approx. ¼ mile away); Public Transportation (approx. ¼ mile away); Denver & Rio Grande Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Arapahoe County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Littleton.
Also see . . .
1. Masonic Lodge. For its 100th anniversary in 1973, (Submitted on July 20, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. A Brief History of Weston Lodge #22. The first Master of Weston Lodge #22 was Joseph W. Bowles (for whom Bowles Avenue is named). Another prominent member of the Lodge was Lewis B. Ames (for whom Ames Street is named) and he served as Master for four years, 1879 through 1882. Henry H. Curtice (for whom Curtice Street is named) was also a charter member and Master of the Lodge. The second petition received was for Charles Rapp (for whom Rapp Avenue is named). (Submitted on July 20, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 20, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.