Cleburne in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Cleburne
Baptist Missionary Preacher W.A. Mason held a revival in the new Johnson County seat of Cleburne in 1868 and on May 5 of that year formally organized the first Baptist church with 16 members. Mason stayed on as pastor of the new congregation until the Rev. J.R. Clarke arrived in 1869 to begin an 11-year pastorate. During his tenure, the congregation purchased property and constructed its first building.
In 1893, the Rev. Dr. George W. Baines, Jr., accepted the call to serve as pastor, and he led the church to found three new Baptist congregations. A new building was completed in 1901 on this site during the pastorate of the Rev. J.A. Hendricks to accommodate the growing congregation. Additional facilities, including an education building, were established to house the expanding ministries and church programs. After the sanctuary was found to be in poor repair, a new auditorium was constructed in 1941.
Throughout its history, the First Baptist Church of Cleburne has accomplished significant work in the mission field, both in the community and overseas. A noteworthy part of the religious and cultural history of Cleburne,
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12777.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is May 5, 1868.
Location. 32° 20.996′ N, 97° 23.207′ W. Marker is in Cleburne, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is at the intersection of East Willingham Street and North Caddo Street, on the left when traveling east on East Willingham Street. The marker is located on the west side of the church by the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 East Willingham Street, Cleburne TX 76031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carnegie Library Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carnegie Library / Layland Museum (about 500 feet away); Site of Old Picnic Grounds (about 500 feet away); Church of the Holy Comforter (about 700 feet away); Pioneer Texas Telephones (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonel Middleton T. Johnson (approx. 0.2 miles away); The 36th Division - Texas National Guard (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Patrick R. Cleburne (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleburne.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.