Sports & Athletics
Williamsport and Lycoming County
Lycoming County has a rich sports history that goes beyond Little League Baseball. The county has produced nationally recognized professional athletes and local legends and heroes. The Sports Walk is dedicated to recognizing those from our area who went on to achieve national and local success as athletes, broadcasters, coaches, and visionaries.
Built in 1890, Athletic Park was home field for Williamsport school baseball teams, hosted exhibition games for major league teams including the A’s, Phillies, Giants, and Pirates, and also hosted Negro Leagues. The field was also used for high school and college football, as well as horse and bicycle racing. The field's first night game was played in 1902. In 1910, the grandstands burned and Cochran Elementary School was built on the site in the 1920s.
Opened in 1890 as part of the Vallamont development north of the city, Vallamont Park was created by the Vallamont Land Company. The development was inspired by the flood of 1889, and was intended to attract people because of its elevated location outside of the flood
In 1921, Jacob C. Brown and his family, owners of Standard Wood Pipe Company, donated the land for the park to the city in memory of Jacob's brother Max. The park, formally named Max M. Brown Memorial Park, opened in 1924 with baseball fields, playgrounds, a track, tennis and volleyball courts, bathing pools and beaches, a roller coaster, bumper cars, a dance hall, and a skating rink. There was also a zoo, which flourished in the late 1920s and early 1930s. The rides eventually went to Sunset Park on Lycoming Creek Road, the zoo declined until the 1936 flood ended it, and the dance hall burned down in 1946.
Williamsport High School Gymnasium and Athletic Field
From 1914 to 1972, the Williamsport High School was on the northeast corner of West Third and Susquehanna Streets. At some point, the gymnasium and athletic field were built on the opposite side of West Third, on part of the Culler Furniture Company property.
Little League Original Field
In the summer of 1938, Carl Stotz organized baseball games for his nephews and other neighborhood boys on a playground in the section of Memorial Park south of West Fourth Street. In 1939, Stotz created a formal league which would become Little League Baseball, and permission was granted to develop a playing field on a vacant lot at the northeast corner of Memorial Avenue and Demorest Street. The field was used for Little League games in 1940 and 1941 until the Avco-Lycoming factory took over the site. Play then returned to Memorial Park. The original playground had been moved because of the ongoing construction of the levee, so a new field was developed from 1942-1945, and was rebuilt following the flood of 1946. The clubhouse was erected in 1948-1949. The first Little League World Series was held on this field in 1947, and continued to be held there through 1958. In 1959, the World Series moved to South Williamsport, but the Original Field continues to be used by local baseball teams.
The Williamsport Grays, of the minor league New York-Pennsylvania League, were using a high school athletic field but had outgrown it. Grays
• Golf Links at Vallmount Park
• Max M. Brown Memorial Park, Williamsport, Penna.
• 1950 Williamsport High School basketball team
• Williamsport High School Football Field
• Tommy Richarson, (microphone) and Connie Mack, (3rd from left) at Bowman Field, 1951
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work
Location. 41° 14.443′ N, 77° 0.252′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker can be reached from Laurel Street north of West Willow Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located near the northeast corner of the Mid-Town Landing parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport PA 17701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mike Mussina (here, next to this marker); Dan Muthler (here, next to this marker); Ed Ott (a few steps from this marker); Sal 'Tank' Rosato (a few steps from this marker); Carl Stotz (within shouting distance of this marker); Jack Losch (within shouting distance of this marker); Tom O'Malley (within shouting distance of this marker); John Wilcox (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 112 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 22, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.