Cleburne in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John L. and Annie Upshaw Cleveland House
John L. Cleveland was born in Georgia in 1851 to James Monroe and Catherine (Wright) Cleveland. He studied agriculture and business before moving to Midlothian, Texas, to teach and farm. Annie Hamilton Upshaw, daughter of Samuel Crockett and Attelia (Aldridge) Upshaw of old Washington, Texas, moved with her family to Hillsboro and attended Stuart Female Seminary in Austin. She and Cleveland married in Hillsboro in 1884, and the two settled in Cleburne, where, in 1887, they purchased two lots from B.J. Chambers. The couple began construction on their home in 1892 and moved in the following year.
John and Annie were both instrumental in the formation of the Main Street Methodist Church. John owned the Cleburne Cottonseed Oil Mill, which was destroyed by fire in 1907. He also owned a hardware store and sold cars to Cleburne citizens, although he did not learn to drive until he was 80 years old. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias, the school board and the Democratic Club of Cleburne.
Annie, or Anne, served as President of the Cleburne Chapter of Circle of Kings Daughters, headed the local Red Cross Canteen during
John died in March 1936, and Annie died four months later. The house passed to their children, who sold it in 1941. Subsequent owners maintained the aesthetic of the historic home, which was built in the Queen Anne style with Eastlake details. Interesting features include decorative fishscale shingling, polychromatic painting, sunburst motifs, a prominent modified keyhole window and spindled friezework.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2002
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12864.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 32° 20.463′ N, 97° 22.993′ W. Marker is in Cleburne, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is at the intersection of South Anglin Street and East 1st Street, on the right when traveling south on South Anglin Street. The marker is located in front of the house by the sidewalk. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 808 South Anglin Street, Cleburne TX 76031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerCleburne American Legion Post Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); AT&SF Steam Locomotive #3417 (approx. ¼ mile away); Johnson County (approx. ¼ mile away); Alton Meeks Stricklin (approx. ¼ mile away); Cleburne Lodge No. 315, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johnson County Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johnson County Courthouse Stone (approx. half a mile away); Cleburne Town Square (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleburne.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.