Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Salem Lutheran Church
Founded in 1842, Salem Lutheran Church is Toledo's first and oldest Lutheran congregation. Located in Toledo's oldest neighborhood, Vistula, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the church was originally composed of German immigrants and incorporated as "Evangelical Lutheran and Reformed Congregation" under the guidance of Reverend George Cronenwett. The first sanctuary was erected in 1844. Ten years later, a Lutheran constitution was accepted and the name "Salem" was chosen. The current church structure was built in 1871 at a total cost of $12,000. Major renovations occurred in 1889, 1916, and the mid 1960s. A Wicks pipe organ was installed in 1967.
In 1860, the Salem Lutheran Church, through the leadership of Pastor Johannes Doerfler, founded a benevolent organization called the Lutheran Orphans' Homes, which was formed to provide care for orphans. Land was purchased on Toledo's East Side, and a church and orphan's home were built, predecessors respectively to today's First St. John's Lutheran Church and Lutheran Homes Society, which provides housing for the aged. The benevolent work of the society
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennnial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Congregation of Salem Lutheran Church, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 44-48.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 41° 39.608′ N, 83° 31.505′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is on North Huron Street just west of Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1125 N Huron St, Toledo OH 43604, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Colbert Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Vistula Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge Paul William Alexander Park (about 500 feet away, Vistula Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Electric Auto-Lite Strike of 1934 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Artist Statement (approx. 0.3 miles away); During May 1934 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dual Steering Wheel (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 23, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.