Richard Arthurs Building
— Historic Brookville —
Built by entrepreneur Richard Arthurs (1850-1910), this building originally contained three separate storerooms. The first tenant in the easternmost room was G.W. Stewart & Co., a shoe factory which in 1886 was projected to employ 125. Later tenants included the Craig, Smith and Reitz Furniture Stores. In 1925 John M. Frazier added the second floor balcony over his Vienna Bakery.
Erected by Historic Brookville, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
Location. 41° 9.612′ N, 79° 4.733′ W. Marker is in Brookville, Pennsylvania, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 322) east of Pickering Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 175-179 Main Street, Brookville PA 15825, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Verstine-Sandt Building (a few steps from this marker); Main Street (a few steps from this marker); Long & Pearsall Building (within shouting distance of this marker); YMCA
Also see . . .
1. Brookville PA National Register Historic District Nomination. (Submitted on July 23, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Borough of Brookville PA: History. (Submitted on July 23, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.