Performance Theater in Bellingham
Vaudeville shows and plays were performed from the late 1880s into the mid-1930s on all the local stages. A variety of well-known productions and famous performers including Al Jolson and Frances Gumm (Judy Garland) were booked here. Shortly after the development of the first motion picture by Thomas Edison in 1893, opera houses and theaters were transformed to accommodate movie projectors and showed a combination of vaudeville, plays, and movies.
The popularity of motion pictures and radio combined with a variety of social and economic factors, led to the rapid decline and virtual collapse of vaudeville during the early 1930s. Local performance theaters were torn down to make way for more modern structures, parking garages, or drive thru facilities. The
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
Location. 48° 45.108′ N, 122° 28.806′ W. Marker is in Bellingham, Washington, in Whatcom County. Marker is at the intersection of West Champion Street and Bay Street, on the right when traveling east on West Champion Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellingham WA 98225, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Downtown was the hub of commercial activity (here, next to this marker); Bellingham grew up along its streetcar lines (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bellingham bloomed during its Tulip Festival in the 1920s (about 700 feet away); Metasequoia glyptostroboides (Dawn Redwood) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bellingham Public Market Had Everything Under One Roof! (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Great Water Fight (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pickett Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Washington State's Oldest Brick Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellingham.
More about this marker. The other side of the panel for this marker is the "Downtown was the hub of commercial activity" marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2021, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 23, 2021, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.