2 N. White St.
This was the site of the home and store of County Court member, John Crawford (1797-1862). It is said that Crawford's building was the oldest brick corner in Athens.
In 1907, G.F. Lockmiller and other businessmen purchased the lot and constructed this building for the newly organized Athens Bank and Trust. The name later changed to Citizens National Bank which operated here until closing this branch in 1986.
Erected by Main Street Athens Project.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 35° 26.52′ N, 84° 35.604′ W. Marker is in Athens, Tennessee, in McMinn County. Marker is at the intersection of North White Street (Tennessee Route 39) and West Madison Street (Business U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south on North White Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 N White St, Athens TN 37303, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Evans Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Boyd House (within shouting distance of this marker);
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.