Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Epworth in White County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Former Site of Big Prairie United Methodist Church

 
 
Former Site of Big Prairie United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, July 23, 2021
1. Former Site of Big Prairie United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Founded in 1812 while this part of the country was still a wilderness, and before Illinois was a state, Big Prairie Church was one of the oldest Methodist churches in Illinois at the time it was closed in December 2017. Early settlers Robert Land, John Hanna and Joseph Pomeroy were instrumental in organizing and establishing the church. The first services alternated between the John Hanna and Robert Land cabins. In 1821, services were moved to a school house until 1863 when a frame church was built on this site. Pictured on this plaque and dedicated on June 4, 1899, this beautiful brick church, built on this site, served generations of local families. For over two centuries, the church guided the spiritual lives of scores of families both local and afar through its outreach and ministries. This is the legacy of Big Prairie United Methodist Church.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is June 4, 1899.
 
Location. 38° 2.964′ N, 88° 6.401′ W. Marker is in Epworth, Illinois, in White County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road
Former Site of Big Prairie United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, July 23, 2021
2. Former Site of Big Prairie United Methodist Church Marker
Marker/monument is located on the former church's site in front of Big Prairie Cemetery.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1450 East (County Route 7) and County Road 1175 N, on the right when traveling north on County Road 1450 East. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1172 County Rd 1450 E, Carmi IL 62821, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Big Prairie Church (a few steps from this marker); Carmi's Oldest House (approx. 4 miles away); Ratcliff Inn (approx. 4 miles away); Colonel Conger House (approx. 4.1 miles away); "Flow Gently, Sweet Afton" (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bell of St. Johns (approx. 4.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.9 miles away); Boone's Mill (approx. 9.9 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=177843

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 20, 2022