Mount Pleasant in Henry County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Iowa Wesleyan College
In commemoration of the
first college west of the
This tablet is dedicated by
the James Harlan Chapter
Daughters of the
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
May 20, 1926
Erected 1926 by James Harlan Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 40° 58.447′ N, 91° 33.216′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, in Henry County. Marker can be reached from North Broadway Street south of East Broad Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is mounted at eye-level on the left side of the Pioneer Hall entrance at Iowa Wesleyan University. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 North Main Street, Mount Pleasant IA 52641, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Iowa Wesleyan College (here, P.E.O. Sisterhood Founded (within shouting distance of this marker); Belle Babb Mansfield (within shouting distance of this marker); Votes For Women (within shouting distance of this marker); James Harlan (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Das Deutsches Kollegium (about 600 feet away); Harlan Hotel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Also see . . . Iowa Wesleyan University (Wikipedia). Iowa Wesleyan University is Iowa's first co-educational institution of higher learning and is the oldest of its type west of the Mississippi River. The university is affiliated with the United Methodist Church. The university was founded as the Mount Pleasant Literary Institute in 1842, and was known as Mount Pleasant Collegiate Institute from 1843 to 1855, Iowa Wesleyan University from 1855 to 1912, and Iowa Wesleyan College from 1912 to 2015. The name reverted to Iowa Wesleyan University in 2015. (Submitted on July 24, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.