Yankton in Yankton County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
"Oldest Institution of Higher Learning in the Dakotas"
In May 1881, Yankton College was authorized by the Congregational Church Association of the Territory and it was chartered under Territorial laws, August 30, 1881.
Classes were started in the Congregational Church, October 4, 1882, and continued in a small 3-room building near the church. Middle Building, still standing, was erected in 1883 and dedicated September 1884.
At first commencement, in 1887, when only Edward Hinman Pound was graduated, President Ward made a memorable address prophesying a thousand years of growth of the college devoted to building character, the highest standards and a continual striving for ideals high above the horizon. He died December 11, 1889, leaving a firm foundation and a perpetual desire to achieve his ideals.
Its campus on the reverse, shows the growth of the physical plant. The regimes of President Warren and Nash showed the greatest advances in the construction program.
To include 1962, 2,238 of its graduates have gone out into the world to carry out the principles President Ward emphasized 75 years ago.
1 - Old Middle 1883
2 - Dakin Hall 1889
3 - Ward Hall 1894
4 - Clarke Ob'vty 1894
5 - Fargo Union 1903
was Crane Gymnasium
6 - Library 1904
7 - Kingsbury Hall 1915
8 - Garden Theatre 1915
9 - Forbes Hall of Science & Chapel 1930
10 - Stadium 1926
11 - Look Hall 1931
12 - Nash Field House 1948
13 - New Mens Dorm 1948
B - Lay Cottage 1890
1. Joseph Ward
2. Dan F. Bradley
3. Albert T. Free
4. Henry K. Warren
5. George W. Nash
1925-40 Y.G. Class of 1891
6. Joseph L. McCorison
7. William Lang
8. James C. Graham
9. Adrian Rondileau
Erected 1962 by his children in memory of their father, Bert L. Hall, Y.G. 1913. (Marker Number 350.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1881.
Location. 42° 52.748′ N, 97° 23.442′ W. Marker is in Yankton, South Dakota, in Yankton County. Marker is on East 10th Street, 0.3 miles east of Broadway Avenue (U.S. 81), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Douglas Avenue, Yankton SD 57078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christ Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cramer - Kenyon Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Capitol Building of Dakota Territory (approx. half a mile away); First Territorial Capital (approx. half a mile away); Trial of Jack McCall for Murder of "Wild Bill" (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charles Francois Picotte (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Building at Yankton Site (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Dakota National Bank of Yankton (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yankton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2021. This page has been viewed 87 times since then. Last updated on July 24, 2021. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 23, 2021. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.