Yankton in Yankton County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First Territorial Capital
Erected 1956 by Hotels Charles Gurney and Nancy. (Marker Number 135.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 2, 1861.
Location. 42° 52.273′ N, 97° 23.427′ W. Marker is in Yankton, South Dakota, in Yankton County. Marker is at the intersection of East 4th Street (South Dakota Route 50) and Capital Street, on the right when traveling west on East 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 E 4th St, Yankton SD 57078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Capitol Building of Dakota Territory (a few steps from this marker); Trial of Jack McCall for Murder of "Wild Bill" (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cramer - Kenyon Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Highway (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Building at Yankton Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Intersection of Third & Walnut (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christ Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pine Street Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yankton.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2021. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2021. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.