Carmi in White County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1965 by White County Historical Society and the Illinois State Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln, and the Illinois State Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
Location. 38° 5.423′ N, 88° 9.56′ W. Marker is in Carmi, Illinois, in White County. Marker is on East Main Street (Illinois Route 1) north of South Walnut Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 E Main St, Carmi IL 62821, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carmi's Oldest House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bell of St. Johns (approx. 0.2 "Flow Gently, Sweet Afton" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonel Conger House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Big Prairie Church (approx. 4 miles away); Former Site of Big Prairie United Methodist Church (approx. 4 miles away); Southern Illinois College (approx. 9.7 miles away); The First Presbyterian Church In Illinois (approx. 10.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carmi.
Also see . . . Ratcliff Inn on Wikipedia. The White County Historical Society, formed in 1957, helped restore this place in 1960 to keep it from being demolished. This Federal-style building was added to the National Register of Historic Places (#73000719) in 1973. (Submitted on July 24, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.