Waco in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Street Cemetery
As the oldest public cemetery in Waco, First Street Cemetery is the resting place for members of Waco's early and diverse community. Burials include veterans, Masons, Odd Fellows, Woodmen of the World, Knights and Daughters of Tabor and Court of Calanthe. On April 16, 1852, George W. Edwards conveyed five acres of a tract acquired from Jacob de Cordova to the citizens of Waco for a graveyard. Additional acreage was conveyed to the city from the Fraternity of Bosque Lodge No. 92 and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Fences were never erected to establish a set boundary and accurate burials records were not kept. In the 1890s, burials were dug in tiers which resulted in the disturbance of previous burials. In 1968, after years of neglect, the Waco City Council voted to relocate graves and/or markers in the lower terrace of the cemetery to the upper terrace. The lower terrace became a recreational campground known as Fort Fisher Park. In 2000, the campground was closed.
In 2007, construction on the Texas Ranger Company "F" headquarters and education center began in the lower terrace. During the construction, remains
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2011
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18556.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical date for this entry is April 16, 1852.
Location. 31° 33.278′ N, 97° 7.148′ W. Marker is in Waco, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Texas Ranger Trail and North Interstate 35 Frontage Road. The marker is located in the north entrance of the First Street Cemetery by the parking lot of the Waco Convention and Visitors Center. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waco TX 76706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Thomas Hudson Barron (here, next to this marker); Samuel Johan Forsgard (within shouting distance of this marker); The Texas Rangers and the Fence Cutters (about 300 feet away, measured Waco (about 300 feet away); William McKendree Lambdin (about 300 feet away); The Original Fort Fisher (about 400 feet away); Hebrew Rest (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waco.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.