Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Birthplace of Robert Winship Woodruff
December 6, 1889
Erected by Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 32° 28.385′ N, 84° 59.416′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on Second Avenue (Georgia Route 85) 0 miles north of 14th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1414 Second Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ernest Woodruff / Robert Winship Woodruff (a few steps from this marker); High Uptown Historic District / Garrett-Bullock-Delay House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rankin House (about 300 feet away, Philip Thomas Schley (about 400 feet away); Haiman's Sword Factory (about 400 feet away); Bullard-Hart-Sampson House (about 400 feet away); Tyler Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Benning (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Regarding Birthplace of Robert Winship Woodruff. Woodruff was president of Coca-Cola from 1923 to 1955, and was the single person responsible for the growth of the brand and company. Woodruff was the outstanding philanthropist in Atlanta's history, donating hundreds of millions of dollars in his own name and through family foundations to Atlanta and Emory University.
Also see . . . Entry on Woodruff in the New Georgia Encyclopedia. (Submitted on April 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,565 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3, 4. submitted on June 28, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.