Saint Francisville in Lawrence County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Francis Xavier Church
1818-1819 The establishment and construction of the first log chapel
1836 Father John Courbe becomes the first resident pastor
1838 The dedication of the 2nd church by Bishop Brute.
1842 The opening of the first Catholic school by the Sisters of Providence.
1887 The construction of the frame church.
1916 The erection of the present brick church in Italian Renaissance architecture.
Erected 1985 by Illinois Daughters of the American Colonists.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Colonists series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. 38° 35.281′ N, 87° 38.827′ W. Marker is in Saint Francisville, Illinois, in Lawrence CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 609 Cherry St, Saint Francisville IL 62460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clark's Advance (approx. 0.3 miles away); To Victory (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Francisville Cabin (approx. 0.4 miles away); 13th Street Bridge (approx. half a mile away); War Memorial (approx. 5.3 miles away); Red Banks Trace (approx. 8.2 miles away in Indiana); Five Unknown Soldiers Memorial (approx. 8.2 miles away in Indiana). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint Francisville.
More about this marker. Marker was originally located outside the church (711 Main Street in St. Francisville).
Regarding St. Francis Xavier Church. St. Francis Xavier Church was recognized by the Illinois State Historical Society as the longest running church in Illinois. It had its final liturgy on February 16, 2014 and was merged to St. Lawrence Parish in nearby Lawrenceville, Illinois. The church was later torn down.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 28, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.