Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Byron in Shiawassee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Byron

 
 
Byron Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 26, 2021
1. Byron Marker
Inscription.  Samuel W. Dexter, of Dexter, Michigan, made the first purchase of land here in July 1824. Four men known as the Byron Company bought this land in 1836 and platted the village the next year. Named after the British poet Lord Byron, in the 1840s the town was one of the largest in the county. Incorporated as a village in 1873, throughout the last half of the nineteenth century Byron was a principal milling and agricultural supply center for the rich Shiawassee Valley.
 
Erected 1974 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0287.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1824.
 
Location. 42° 49.448′ N, 83° 56.908′ W. Marker is in Byron, Michigan, in Shiawassee County. Marker is on West Maple Street, 0.3 miles west of South Saginaw Street, on the right when traveling west. Located at the access road to Byron High School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 312 W Maple St, Byron MI 48418, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Byron Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 26, 2021
2. Byron Marker
Byron marker is on the right
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ellen May Tower / Spanish-American War Nurse (within shouting distance of this marker); Byron Veterans Plaque (approx. Ό mile away); Byron Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); Gaines Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); Village Of Gaines / Gaines Depot (approx. 3.8 miles away); Argentine Township Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Durand Union Station (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Byron.
 
Lord Byron image. Click for full size.
Thomas Phillips, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
3. Lord Byron
Namesake of the city as discussed on marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 132 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=178250

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jan. 31, 2023