Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Flint in Genesee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Court Street United Methodist Church

(First Methodist)

 
 
Court Street United Methodist Church (First Methodist) Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, July 26, 2021
1. Court Street United Methodist Church (First Methodist) Marker
Inscription.  In 1834 circuit rider Bradford Frazee held the first Methodist service in Flint. The following year, William Brockway, of the Saginaw Mission, established regular services in Wait Beach’s barroom. In 1836 the class of nine persons organized as the Flint River Mission in a room above the Stage and Wright store. In 1841 the Genesee County Board of Commissioners deeded this property to what became the First Methodist Episcopal Church, the oldest organized religious group in the city. The congregation’s first church, built in 1842, burned in 1861. Its second one was razed in 1888 to build a third, which burned in 1892. The present church was dedicated in 1894. The church house was dedicated in 1929.
 
Erected 1986 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L0736.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
 
Location. 43° 0.679′ N, 83° 41.381′ W. Marker is
Court Street United Methodist Church (First Methodist) Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, July 26, 2021
2. Court Street United Methodist Church (First Methodist) Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
in Flint, Michigan, in Genesee County. Marker is at the intersection of West Court Street and West Mitchell Avenue, on the left when traveling west on West Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 225 W Court St, Flint MI 48502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Resisting Slavery / Robert J. Cromwell (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sarah Emma Edmonds / Franklin Thompson (about 500 feet away); Genesee County Civil War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Genesee County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Otto P. Graff (about 700 feet away); Masonic Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Vehicle City (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flint.
 
Court Street United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, July 26, 2021
3. Court Street United Methodist Church
Taken from north across Court Street
Court Street United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, July 26, 2021
4. Court Street United Methodist Church
Cornerstone
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 31, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=178345

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021