Denton in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The First Building of Texas Woman's University
The Girls Industrial Institute and College of Texas was created in 1901. Fourteen cities offered sites. Denton was chosen February 5, 1902. The cornerstone of this building, the first on the campus, was laid on January 10, 1903. The architecture is neoclassical revival. Classes began on September 23, 1903, with 186 students and 14 faculty members. For years this was the only academic structure. Wings were added 1916.
Used as administration building until 1956, this hall housed offices of presidents Cree T. Work, 1903-10; William B. Bizzell, 1910-14; Francis M. Bralley, 1914-24; Lindsey Blayney, 1925-26; Louis H. Hubbard, 1926-50; John A. Guinn, after 1950. By date this building was finished, "The Girls Industrial College" was official title of the school. Later (1905) it was renamed "The College of Industrial Arts"; "Texas State College for Women", 1934; "Texas Woman's University", 1957; and is the only university in the United States founded expressly for women. Enrollment on Denton, Dallas, and Houston campuses exceeded 6500 in 1973.
This structure, central to life of the institution, now houses archives and documents
Incise on reverse: Sponsored by the Past President's Council of the Texas Woman's University Alumnae Association
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5333.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Women. A significant historical date for this entry is January 10, 1903.
Location. 33° 13.473′ N, 97° 7.688′ W. Marker is in Denton, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Old Main Circle, 0.1 miles west of North Bell Avenue, on the right when traveling west. The marker is in front of the TWU Old Main Building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: TWU Old Main Building, Denton TX 76201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. University Gardens Texas Woman's University (approx. 0.3 miles away); O'Neil Ford (approx. 0.4 miles away); Quakertown (approx. half a mile away); Beulah A. Harriss (approx. half a mile away); 1927 Denton City Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of Lacy Hotel (approx. 0.7 miles away); Texas Normal College (approx. 0.7 miles away); Denton County (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denton.
More about this marker. This marker is located on the campus of Texas Woman's University. Attention should be given to the day and time when looking for this marker due to the presence of students and limited public parking. However, the campus is beautiful and it is worth the extra effort.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2021, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Last updated on August 5, 2021, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 5, 2021, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.