Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Buckhannon in Upshur County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

C.E. Mylius Building

 
 
C.E. Mylius Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 1, 2021
1. C.E. Mylius Building Marker
Inscription.  
In 1872 George H. Clark opened his saddler shop at this location. However in 1984, a fire swept through this block of Main Street, destroying most of the buildings including the one that stood here. Following the fire, C.E. Mylius built the structure you see here today. There is a long list of businesses and enterprises that have been located at this building, starting with Simon Levinstein. Simon was born in western Russia in 1873, immigrated to America 1889, landing in the port of Baltimore at the age of 15. He earned a living as a peddler, traveling up and down the towns along the rivers with a pack on his back. At the age of 28, Simon opened his first retail store at this site in 1898.

Levinstein's went on to become one of Buckhannon's leading department stores for many years. In 1904, the People's Bank of West Virginia opened its doors in this building and operated here until 1910, when they moved into the new 5-story building at the corner of N. Kanawha & Main Street. In 1913, there was a movie theater in this building, followed in 1915 by Fowkes Bookstore, who ran their bookstore here for the next eighteen years. In 1838,
The C.E. Mylius Building image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 1, 2021
2. The C.E. Mylius Building
Click or scan to see
this page online
Rubenstein's Underselling Store was located here, followed in 1941 by the Smart Shop, a retail clothing store which operated here until 1953. Andregg's Jewelry had a shop here in 1955 and is still operating today, 59 years later, a block to the east, at 9 East Main Street. In 1969, Moraina Studio, a beauty salon was at this site, followed by a Military Museum in 2033. Trumpz Salon started at this site before moving two doors down in 203.
 
Erected by Create Buckhannon, Historic Landmarks Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicEducationEntertainmentIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
 
Location. 38° 59.637′ N, 80° 13.863′ W. Marker is in Buckhannon, West Virginia, in Upshur County. Marker is on West Main Street just west of Kanawha Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15 W Main St, Buckhannon WV 26201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J.A. Davis Ice Cream Parlor / 1894 Fire on West Main Street (here, next to this marker); Upshur County Courthouses / Rainbow Restaurant (a few steps from this marker); Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); Destruction at the Courthouse (within shouting distance of this
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Operation Desert Storm Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Buckhannon / Frontier Days (within shouting distance of this marker); Explorations West of Blue Ridge / 8 East Main Street / Strawberry Festival 1936 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buckhannon.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=178947

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021