Buckhannon in Upshur County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Dairy Queen / Buckhannon City Hall
Buckhannon's Oldest Fast Foodery
The city's first introduction to a fast food franchise came with the 1954 opening of the Dairy Queen at 58 East Main Street, only fourteen years after the franchise began. The following year it was purchased by the Booth family who continues its operation today. For well more than a half century, people have stepped up to the unchanged vintage windows of this special place, enjoying its sweet treats.
Buckhannon City Hall
This present facility was built in 1916 as the Buckhannon Post Office and became City Hall in 1960. On this location also stood the two early Buckhannon Methodist Episcopal Church buildings before the congregation's move to Florida Street in 1941. Looking toward the river you will note a modern bridge on the site of the pre-Civil War Lemuel Chenowith covered bridge that spanned the Buckhannon River.
By 1847 the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike, a main artery from the Virginia Valley to the Ohio River, had been completed through Buckhannon, entering via Island Avenue and creating much of what is now Main Street. Chenowith,
Erected by Buckhannon Historic Landmarks Commission; Upshur County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Communications • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1954.
Location. 38° 59.652′ N, 80° 13.722′ W. Marker is in Buckhannon, West Virginia, in Upshur County. Marker is on East Main Street (County Road 151) just east of North Florida Street (County Road 151), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 56 E Main St, Buckhannon WV 26201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leonard Mactaggart "Pare" Lorentz (a few steps from this marker); Gray Roscoe Barker (a few steps from this marker); Stockert Building / People's Grocery & Home Hardware (a few steps from this marker); Charles Burton "Charley" Harper (a few steps from this marker); The Lurch Bench (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); G.C. Murphy Company / G.O. Young Drug StoreStrawberry Festival / Tillotson Janney House (about 300 feet away); Stockert Building 1904 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buckhannon.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.