Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Buckhannon in Upshur County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Stockert Building 1904

 
 
Stockert Building 1904 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 1, 2021
1. Stockert Building 1904 Marker
Inscription.  Trading much of the southern portion of Staten Island for 3,500 acres of land in western Virginia, Daniel Farnsworth moved west and in the summer of 1821 settled on the banks of the Buckhannon River with his wife and five sons. Leonard Farnsworth, born in 1830 to Nathaniel and Susanna Farnsworth, was the grandson of Daniel Farnsworth. In 1849, Leonard set off for California during the early days of the Gold Rush to make his fortune. Upon returning to Upshur County, Leonard S. became a prosperous businessman, buying half of this block on which he built a 2-story house and two retail store buildings, one of which was used as a shoemakers shop and the other as a Confectionary. In 1901, Leonard sold this property to Gustav F. and John M. Stockert. These brothers were the sons of a German immigrant, Julius F. Stockert, who had come to West Virginia in 1871. In 1904, the Stockert Brothers tore down the L.S. Farnsworth building and erected this fine structure. The 1st and 2nd floors were used as a Dry Goods Store, the third floor had 2 offices and an Assembly Hall. In 1908, the basement was operated as a Bowling Alley. In 1940, an out of town grocery
The Stockert Building image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 1, 2021
2. The Stockert Building
Click or scan to see
this page online
store, Kroger's took over the 1st floor and basement, while the second floor and mezzanine were converted to office space. In 1949, G.C. Murphy's 5 & 10 took over the first and mezzanine, allowing them to expand to this building from the adjacent three buildings to west where they had been operating since the 1930's. In 1998 Clifford J. and Jeannie Rylands acquired the building and converted it into a restaurant, C.J. Maggie's American Grill.
 
Erected by Create Buchanan; Historic Landmarks Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1821.
 
Location. 38° 59.645′ N, 80° 13.797′ W. Marker is in Buckhannon, West Virginia, in Upshur County. Marker is on East Main Street (County Road 151) just east of North Kanawha Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 E Main St, Buckhannon WV 26201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. G.C. Murphy Company / G.O. Young Drug Store (here, next to this marker); Shinn Building 1892 (here, next to this marker); The Lurch Bench (here, next to this marker); Strawberry Festival / Tillotson Janney House (a few steps from this marker); Crislip & Simpson Building (a few steps from this marker); Reger Building 1900
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(a few steps from this marker); Carpenter Building 1923 (a few steps from this marker); Explorations West of Blue Ridge / 8 East Main Street / Strawberry Festival 1936 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buckhannon.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=179007

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 20, 2022