Downtown in Cleveland in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio and Erie Canal
Lock 44 as the outlet of the canal into the Cuyahoga River and the first stop in the transportation system which linked the Great Lakes with the Ohio River during the nineteenth century. Across Merwin Street was the canal basin where goods and passengers transferred between the canal boats and the Great Lakes ships.
The canal stretched 309 miles from this point to the Ohio River at Portsmouth and had three branches and four side canals through eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania. It was largely responsible for the development of Cleveland from a small village into an important industrial city.
Erected by the City of Cleveland, River's Bend Parks Corp, the George Gund Foundation, the Cleveland Foundation, and the Cleveland Women's City Club Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1829.
Location. 41° 29.733′ N, 81° 42.108′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cleveland OH 44115, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alexis de Tocqueville (within shouting distance of this marker); John D. Rockefeller, 1839-1937 / The Standard Oil Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Moses Cleaveland’s “Capital Town” (about 400 feet away); Irish Famine Memorial (about 400 feet away); Moses Cleaveland Survey (about 600 feet away); Industrialists & Early Skyscrapers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rockefeller Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hardware Industry (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2023. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,161 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.