Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Archer City in Archer County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Archer County Copper Mines

(Ό mile northeast and 5 miles to the south southeast)

 
 
Archer County Copper Mines Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Scott Essary, circa 2008
1. Archer County Copper Mines Marker
Inscription.  The civilized world first heard of copper in this area from Texas Rangers after an 1860 campaign against Comanches on the Pease River, about 100 miles to the northwest. The Ranger Captain, Lawrence S. ("Sul") Ross, later to serve Texas as Governor, had nuggets picked off the surface of the ground and hauled to Austin. In 1861, Assistant State Geologist S.B. Buckley charted the mineral site. The Rangers' ore haul was processed and used in gun caps for Confederate forces during the Civil War. To get more of the needed metal, the Texas Copper Mining & Manufacturing Company was founded on May 28, 1864, but wartime shortage of men apparently prevented recovery of copper at that time. The T.C.M.&M. Co., based in Dallas, sent W.F. Cummings to Archer County in 1880 to open mining sites. Although the Texas Commissioner of Agriculture and Statistics reported in 1882 that no mining had commenced, ore eventually was hauled out and shipped to smelters in the east. No central vein or deposit could be found.

The Boston & Texas Copper Company of Tucson, Ariz., leased the mine site here in 1899. It produced some copper ore which was processed in El
Archer County Copper Mines Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 23, 2021
2. Archer County Copper Mines Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Paso, but again the project failed to meet expectations
 
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 190.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNatural Resources. A significant historical date for this entry is May 28, 1864.
 
Location. 33° 38.816′ N, 98° 42.381′ W. Marker is near Archer City, Texas, in Archer County. Marker is on State Highway 25, 4½ miles west of State Highway 79, on the right when traveling west. About 4½ miles northwest of Archer City. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Archer City TX 76351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Geraldine (approx. 4½ miles away); A Jesse James Hideout (approx. 5.9 miles away); Archer County Discovery Well (approx. 5.9 miles away); Camp Cureton, C.S.A. (approx. 5.9 miles away); Archer County Jail (approx. 5.9 miles away); Sheriff E. Harrison Ikard (approx. 5.9 miles away); In Vicinity of French Trading Area (approx. 6.4 miles away); Dad's Corner (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Archer City.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2009, by Scott Essary of Archer City, Texas. This page has been viewed 2,996 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 13, 2009, by Scott Essary of Archer City, Texas.   2. submitted on November 30, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=17912

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 11, 2022