Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marlinton in Pocahontas County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Greenbrier Covered Bridge

Vital Crossing

 
 
Greenbrier Covered Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, August 10, 2021
1. Greenbrier Covered Bridge Marker
Inscription.  During the war, Union and Confederate forces crossed the Greenbrier River covered bridge many times to attack and counterattack through Pocahontas County. This area was then called Marlin's Bottom, on or near three turnpikes. Across the river, the Huttonsville, Marlin's Bottom, & Lewisburg Turnpike (now U.S. Route 219) linked the Staunton & Parkersburg Turnpike (U.S Route 250) on the north with Lewisburg on the south. The Marlin's Bottom & Huntersville Turnpike to Huntersville, six miles behind you, and the Huntersville & Warm Springs Turnpike that continued east to Warm Springs in Virginia now comprise State Route 39. These hard surfaced turnpikes were strategically important for the armies moving through the rugged terrain, especially during brutal winters.

Confederate Gen, Robert E. Lee and his army marched from Huntersville across the bridge in 1861 to the Tygart River Valley.

In January 1862, Union Maj. George P. Webster, 25th Ohio Infantry, led a 738-man detachment from Huttonsville to seize Huntersville and destroy supplies. He crossed the river a mile north of here and marched into Huntersville, routing the few defenders.
Greenbrier Covered Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, August 10, 2021
2. Greenbrier Covered Bridge Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
He burned the stores and then marched across the bridge and back to Huttonsville, with only one man wounded. Union Gen. William W. Averell crossed the bridge on the first of three raids,on August 20–30, 1863, and again on November 4, culminating in the Battle of Droop Mountain, 16 miles south. Confederate Gen. Thomas L. Rosser led 300 cavalrymen from his camp near Staunton to raid a Union supply depot at Beverly, January 7-18, 1865, and crossed the bridge as he returned.

(captions)
Union winter camp — Courtesy Library of Congress
Gen. William W. Averell Library of Congress
Gen. Thomas L. Rosser Library of Congress
Rosser's 1865 raid, from the Official Military Atlas of the Civil War (1895)

(sidebar)
Civil engineer Lemuel Chenoweth (1811-1887) designed and constructed the Greenbrier River Bridge in the 1850s. Chenoweth, a masterful builder of wooden truss bridges, constructed several in West Virginia that still stand, most notably the one at Philippi, site of the first land battle of the war on June 3, 1861. The Greenbrier River Bridge was demolished and replaced in 1915.
(caption) Greenbrier Bridge — Courtesy West Virginia University

 
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker
Returning from outpost duty image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Edwin Forbes, circa 1863
3. Returning from outpost duty
Library of Congress (LC-DIG-ppmsca-20747)
is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails series list.
 
Location. 38° 13.453′ N, 80° 5.721′ W. Marker is in Marlinton, West Virginia, in Pocahontas County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street (West Virginia Route 39) and 1st Avenue, on the right on 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marlinton WV 24954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marlinton: Heritage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marlinton (approx. Ό mile away); Welcome to Pocahontas County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Frank and Anna Hunter House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Natural History and Heritage (approx. 3.1 miles away); Edray (approx. 3.2 miles away); Big Lime (approx. 3½ miles away); Huntersville Jail / Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marlinton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2021, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2021, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   3. submitted on August 13, 2021.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=179229

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 1, 2022