Shiner in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Shiner Opera House
William Wendtland (1856-1951) and Louis Wagener (1855-1936) built this structure in 1895. William Koch (1857-1928) enlarged the building with a rear addition in 1915. "The Opera House Saloon" and later other businesses occupied the lower floor, the Opera House, located on the top floor was the site of theatrical productions, social gatherings, dances, political rallies, and lodge meetings. Until the 1920s, the Opera House was Shiner's main public auditorium.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4685.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 29° 25.864′ N, 97° 10.271′ W. Marker is in Shiner, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of 7th Street and North Avenue D, on the left when traveling north on 7th Street. The marker is located on the far right side of the building by a door. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 7th Street, Shiner TX 77984, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are First National Bank of Shiner (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Masonic Lodge Building (about 500 feet away); Shiner (about 700 feet away); Scrap Iron Drive (about 700 feet away); Sunken Garden Dance Platform (approx. 0.2 miles away); Welhausen Park Bandstand (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain Charles Welhausen (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shiner, Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shiner.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.