Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Oldham in Kingsbury County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Kingsbury County / Lake County

You are about to enter

 
 
Kingsbury County Marker image. Click for full size.
August 15, 2021
1. Kingsbury County Marker
Inscription.  
You are about to enter
Kingsbury County

A region of buffaloes and Indians until 1870s. Indian mounds are found at Spirit Lake. In 1838 the Nicollet-Fremont party skirted the NE corner. In 1857 Inkepaduta's renegade Indians passed through with two white women captives, victims of the Spirit Lake massacre in Iowa. In a skirmish several of the renegades were killed by Agency Indians near Lake Thompson. In 1857 Noble's Trail was built west passing south of this lake.

The Yankton Sioux ceded the region to the government in 1859. It was part of huge Buffalo County, 1864, and of larger Hanson County in 1870. On Jan. 8, 1873 it became Kingsbury County, named for George W. Kingsbury (1837-1925) of Yankton, legislator, editor, and historian. Surveyed in 1873-75, general settlement began in 1878. The railroad came in 1879-80. The county was organized Feb. 18, 1880 by H. W. Palmer, H. J. Burvee, and Benjamin Loken.

De Smet, the county seat, was named for Father Peter John De Smet (1801-1873), Jesuit missionary. The county in 1880 had 1,102 people, by 1890 - 8,562. Its area is 36 by 24 miles, or 552,960
Lake County Marker image. Click for full size.
August 15, 2021
2. Lake County Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
acres. Lakes include Thompson, Henry, Spirit, Preston, Whitewood, Albert and others. Excellent waterfowl and pheasant hunting, and fishing are found here. Pioneer days have been depicted by three former residents of the county in Rose Wilder Lane's novels, Laura Ingalls Wilder's children's stories, and Harvey Dunn's paintings.

You are about to enter
Lake County

so named because of its beautiful lakes. It had been the realm of the Dacotah (Sioux) Indians with few white intruders until ceded by the Yankton tribe in 1858. In 1857 the Noble's Trail was built across its NE corner and that year Mrs. Wm. Marble, a captive of Inkepaduta's renegade Indian band was rescued at Lake Herman by two Christian Indians.

It was created in 1873 from parts of Brookings, Minnehaha and Hanson Counties and organized October 6th with Herman N. Luce and John T. Hare as commissioners. Settlement began in 1870 when Wm. Lee, John Walker and Herman N. Luce arrived and built the Lee log cabin, its first edifice. Shortly, Madison, named for Madison, Wis. and Herman, named for Luce grew up on the shores of Lakes Madison and Herman, respectively. By 1880 Its population was 2657 and the coming of the railroad, that year shifted the county seat from "Old Madison" to Madison laid out by C. B. Kennedy July 6th 1880.

The first train arrived January
Kingsbury County Marker image. Click for full size.
August 15, 2021
3. Kingsbury County Marker
12, 1881. The Swiss Colony at Badus was founded in 1878, Wentworth in 1880, Winifred 1882, Ramona 1887. Madison State Normal was established in 1881 with classes starting in 1883. Its present name, General Beadle State College, honors its President W. H. H. Beadle (1889-1906) who was known as the "Savior of the School Lands." From 1890 to 1932 the Lake Madison Chautauqua brought culture and entertainment to thousands from a wide area.

Lake County, 24 miles square, rich in soil and scenery welcomes you.
 
Erected 1958 by the County Commissioners. (Marker Number 238.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
 
Location. 44° 11.742′ N, 97° 7.789′ W. Marker is near Oldham, South Dakota, in Kingsbury County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 81 and 220th Street (County Road 10), on the left when traveling north on U.S. 81. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oldham SD 57051, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake County South Dakota (here, next to this marker); Badus – Pioneer Swiss Colony (approx. 3 miles away); Original Badus Swiss Colony Site
Lake County Marker image. Click for full size.
August 15, 2021
4. Lake County Marker
(approx. 3.3 miles away); St. Ann's Catholic Church of Badus (approx. 3.4 miles away); Kingsbury County (approx. 11.3 miles away); Brookings County (approx. 11.3 miles away); Arlington Veterans Memorial (approx. 11.3 miles away); Wm. H.H. Beadle (approx. 12.7 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2021. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 17, 2021. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=179687

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021