Scottsville in Albemarle County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Barclay House and Scottsville Museum
Erected 1972 by Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number GA-35.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 47.931′ N, 78° 29.583′ W. Marker is in Scottsville, Virginia, in Albemarle County. Marker is on East Main Street (Virginia Route 6) east of Valley Street (Virginia Route 20), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scottsville VA 24590, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Scottsville (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Scottsville (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hurricane Camille (about 700 feet away); Scottsville Confederate Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hatton Ferry (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Hatton Ferry (approx. 2.9 miles away); a different marker also named Hatton Ferry (approx. 3 miles away); Wilson Cary Nicholas (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scottsville.
Also see . . .
1. Barclay House and Scottsville Museum. “The Barclay House is a small townhouse on Scottsville's Lot 31 and is next door to the Disciples of Christ Church (now Scottsville Museum) on Main Street. John B. Hart purchased this property without a structure in 1830 and resold the lot six months later for his original purchase price. On January 1, 1838, Daniel P. Perkins sold Lot 31 with its ‘house and lot on Main Street’ to Sarah C. Harris, mother of James Turner Barclay. By 1850, Dr. James Turner Barclay and his family lived in this house next door to the Disciples (Submitted on April 16, 2009.)
2. Disciples of Christ Church. “After three years in Jerusalem, Dr. Barclay returned to America and wrote a book, The City of the Great King. In 1854, President Pierce appointed him to the Philadelphia Mint to determine ways to stop counterfeiting as well as coin deterioration. In 1857, the Barclay family went back to their Jerusalem mission for eight more years. When they returned to the United States in 1865, Dr. Barclay became Professor of Chemistry at Bethany College until his retirement.” (Submitted on April 16, 2009.)
3. Our Museum’s Mission. “Scottsville Museum brings our town’s history to life, from its beginnings as an 18th century James River settlement to its shining era as a bustling 19th century river and canal port. Additionally the Museum depicts Scottsville as a center of Civil War activity through its re-emergence as a thriving community in the 20th century. Housed inside the former Disciples of Christ Church, built in 1846, the Scottsville Museum displays permanent and rotating exhibits on James River (Submitted on April 16, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,118 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3. submitted on May 22, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on April 16, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.