Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alberta in Brunswick County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Brunswick Courthouse

 
 
Old Brunswick Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, July 21, 2021
1. Old Brunswick Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The Virginia General Assembly established Brunswick County in 1720 to encourage English settlement between the fall line and French outposts west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Until 1732, when Brunswick’s court was constituted, residents attended court in Prince George County. The first Brunswick County courthouse was built near here ca. 1732. When county boundaries shifted, the court was moved about eight miles to the east in 1746. In 1783 the court’s location was again moved, and the town of Lawrenceville, still the county seat, grew up around it.
 
Erected 2016 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number S-65.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1720.
 
Location. 36° 50.315′ N, 77° 54.781′ W. Marker is in Alberta, Virginia, in Brunswick County. Marker is on Boydton Plank Road (U.S. 1) 0.1 miles north of Christanna Highway (Virginia Route 46), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alberta VA 23821, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, measured as the crow flies. Fort Christanna (a few steps from this marker); Nellie Pratt Russell (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Southside Virginia Community College (approx. ¼ mile away); Rev. Jesse C. Byrd D.D. (approx. 2 miles away); Oak Grove School (approx. 2 miles away); Saint Paul’s Chapel School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Danieltown (approx. 5.3 miles away); Sturgeon Creek (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alberta.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Old Marker At This Location also titled "Old Brunswick Courthouse".
 
Old Brunswick Courthouse Marker with Fort Christanna marker in the foreground. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, July 21, 2021
2. Old Brunswick Courthouse Marker with Fort Christanna marker in the foreground.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180055

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024