Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hague in Warren County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Hague Market

The Hague Historical Society Walking Tour

 
 
The Hague Market Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel, August 21, 2021
1. The Hague Market Marker
Inscription.  
1901 This building was built by Ellis Bolton, the Hague Town Supervisor. Bolton partnered with Melvin Barton and shortly thereafter John Keenan. It seems that Bolton was a silent partner because the store operated under the name of Barton and Keenan.

1906 Will Keenan was brought in as another partner. The name of the market was changed to Keenan Brothers.

1908 Barton sold his interest in the store to the Keenan brothers, retaining his other businesses in town, including what is now the Uptown building.

1949 Bob and Ada Hoyt purchased the market and renamed it The Hague Supermarket. Ada, a nurse, gave allergy shots in the deli and weighed babies on the meat scale.

1961 Five-year-old (and future owner) Sally De Larm "helped” Bob Hoyt sell candy bars.

1979 Joan and Art Steitz bought the store. Along with groceries, they sold tourist sweatshirts in the summer and hunting gear in the fall. In the winter, they rented cross-country skis.

1996 Douglas and Sharon Zeyak bought the store and operated it with their own flair. Doug, a musician, sold
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
guitars along with groceries and dry goods.

2011 Jim and Sally De Larm Rypkema bought the store and renamed it the New Hague Market, offering organic produce and regionally produced meats and cheeses.

2014 Juniper, Sally's gift store, moved to the second floor. Juniper embraces the lake lifestyle unique gifts and clothing.
 
Erected 2017 by Hague Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
 
Location. 43° 44.755′ N, 73° 29.972′ W. Marker is in Hague, New York, in Warren County. Marker is on Graphite Mountain Road (New York State Route 8) west of Lakeshore Drive (New York State Route 9N). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9844 Graphite Mountain Rd, Hague NY 12836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Dairy Building (a few steps from this marker); Garfield's Hotel & Tavern (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Town of Hague Centennial (about 500 feet away); The Wreck of the Steamboat John Jay (about 500 feet away); Legendary Rocks (about 500 feet away); The Working Side of Hague (about 500 feet away); Hague Central School (approx. ¼ mile away); Hague Heritage Cemetery (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hague.
The Hague Market Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel, August 21, 2021
2. The Hague Market Marker
 
The Hague Market image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel, August 21, 2021
3. The Hague Market
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2021, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 23, 2021, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180210

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024