Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Waverly in Walker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Joseph's Catholic Church

 
 
St. Joseph's Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
1. St. Joseph's Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  The Rev. Felix Orzechowski, who came to Texas in 1866 to answer an appeal for Polish missionaries, organized St. Joseph's Parish in 1869. The first Catholic Church in Walker County, it served the many Polish families who settled this area in the 1870s. Church tradition often sustained the immigrants until they adjusted to life in a new country. Services were held outdoors or in private homes during Father Orzechowski's Pastorate. Soon after leaving this parish in 1876, he returned to Poland and was imprisoned by ruling Russian officials for advocating democratic ideas.

A frame church building was erected in 1877 under the direction of the Rev. Victor Justinia Linicki, who was a Polish Baron before he became a priest. A larger edifice, designed by Tom Lavandoski, was built in 1897, and the original structure was used as a school. The present church was begun in 1905 and dedicated on the feast of St. Joseph, March 19, 1908, during the pastorate of the Rev. Thomas Aloysius Bily (1859-1921). The stately Gothic-style structure, designed by L.S. Green, reflects the European heritage of the parishioners.

The Parish school was
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
operated until 1951. St. Joseph's Catholic Church continues to minister to descendants of New Waverly's historic Polish community.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1975
 
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8472.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is March 19, 1908.
 
Location. 30° 32.157′ N, 95° 28.882′ W. Marker is in New Waverly, Texas, in Walker County. Marker is at the intersection of Elmore Street and Walker Street, on the left when traveling south on Elmore Street. The marker is located on the south side of the entrance to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Elmore Street, New Waverly TX 77358, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Western Grove Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Minnie Fisher Cunningham (approx. 2.8 miles away); Site of former town of Danville (approx. 4.2 miles away); Elijah Collard (approx. 4.3 miles away); East Sandy Community (approx. 6 miles away); Willis Male and Female College (approx. 7˝ miles away); Site of Willis Cigar Factory (approx. 7.6 miles away); Willis Methodist Church (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Waverly.
 
The entrance to the St. Joseph's Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
2. The entrance to the St. Joseph's Catholic Church
The view of the St. Joseph's Catholic Church from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
3. The view of the St. Joseph's Catholic Church from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180220

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024