Lone Oak in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lone Oak Baptist Church
Organized 1858 by W. M. Pickett and Benj. Watson. The charter members were Thos. Hooker, first pastor; Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Simpson; N. T. Featherston; Jane Pitts; Harriet Lively; and Mr. and Mrs. Wm. McBride, who gave site for first church. After it burned, present one was built, 1899.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
The 1899 church building was demolished in 1979 and a new sanctuary was constructed.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7814.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 32° 59.748′ N, 95° 56.695′ W. Marker is in Lone Oak, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is on Mc Bride Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lone Oak TX 75453, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lone Oak Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Caddo Indians in Hunt County (approx. 4.2 miles away); Majors Army Airfield (approx. 9 miles away); Shady Grove CommunityWilliam Lane (approx. 10.4 miles away); Ende-Gaillard House (approx. 12.3 miles away); Library Movement in Greenville (approx. 12.8 miles away); Gen. Hal C. Horton Home (approx. 12.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lone Oak.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 23, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.