Wolfe City in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1912, African American educator Booker T. Washington partnered with Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears, Roebuck & Company, to build schools for African American children in poor rural communities across the South. Rosenwald matched funds raised by the African American community and school district of Wolfe City to build Blanton School in 1923. This unusual cooperation between wealthy philanthropists, black citizens, and white officials was a hallmark of the Rosenwald program.
Blanton School followed standard Rosenwald designs which maximized space and made use of natural lighting and ventilation. Until the 1950s, the school was located outside the city limits and did not have access to sewer or natural gas lines. The school calendar was organized around the cotton season, allowing students to work in the fields during fall harvests. Blanton had only three teachers for 70 students ranging from first to eighth grade. Graduates of Blanton School attended Farmers’ Improvement School in nearby Ladonia or St. Paul’s High School in Neylandville. Blanton continued to serve the African American community until Wolfe City schools integrated
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18236.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 33° 22.123′ N, 96° 3.778′ W. Marker is in Wolfe City, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 11 and East Witt Street, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 11. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wolfe City TX 75496, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Site of Wolfe’s Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mt. Carmel Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old National Road Crossing (approx. 4.2 miles away); Ashley Lodge No. 681, A. F. & A. M. (approx. 7.4 miles away); White Rock Baptist Church (approx. 7.6 miles away); White Rock Methodist Church (approx. 7.6 miles away); White Rock Community (approx. 7.7 miles away); Audie Murphy (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wolfe City.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.