Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carmichaels in Greene County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Major James Carmichael

Died 1796

 
 
Major James Carmichael Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bradley Owen, August 24, 2021
1. Major James Carmichael Marker
Inscription.  
Founder of Carmichaels

Buried at this site

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 39° 53.96′ N, 79° 58.63′ W. Marker is in Carmichaels, Pennsylvania, in Greene County. Marker can be reached from North Market Street north of Old Town Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at the rear (east side) of the Greene Academy of Art building, level with the ground. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 314 North Market Street, Carmichaels PA 15320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carmichaels Borough School Bell (here, next to this marker); Greene Academy (a few steps from this marker); Laurel Point Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Greene Academy (about 700 feet away); Honorary Emblem
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. half a mile away); New Providence Presbyterian Church (approx. 2 miles away); Birthplace of Albert Baird Cummins (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carmichaels.
 
Regarding Major James Carmichael. In 1796, Carmichaels, PA was named in honor of Major James Carmichael, a Revolutionary War soldier and pioneer settler. Carmichael had traded his land in what is now the town of Jefferson for land owned by Thomas Hughes along the banks of Muddy Creek in Old Town. Carmichaels became home to the Greene Academy, notably, the first school of higher learning west of the Allegheny Mountains. The Carmichaels Covered Bridge spans Muddy Creek separating Old Town from Carmichaels. Both the Greene Academy and the Carmichaels Covered Bridge are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Major James Carmichael Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bradley Owen, August 24, 2021
2. Major James Carmichael Marker
Marker can be seen level with the ground to the right of the bell.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180283

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 20, 2024