Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Huntsville in Walker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Huntsville Springs

 
 
Huntsville Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
1. Huntsville Springs Marker
Inscription.  Kentucky native Pleasant Gray and his wife Hannah (Holshouser) left Tennessee with their two children in 1834 and in 1835 settled here on land granted to them as part of Mexico's colonization effort. At that time natural springs located nearby served as a campsite for the area's native Bedias Indians and for immigrants passing through the region.

After establishing a trading post near the springs with his brother Ephraim, Pleasant Gray subdivided his land into home and business lots and advertised the property in Alabama, Tennessee, New Orleans, and various steamboat offices. Settlers soon arrived and a town developed which Gray named after Huntsville, Alabama, a former family home. The area's bountiful springs were observed in the Texas Chronicles written by British scientist/adventurer William Bollaert in 1843-44. Huntsville was incorporated in 1845.

For many years townspeople were accustomed to using spring water captured in a trough near the springs. In 1893-1894 the city dug an artesian well within a few feet of the springs to provide water for municipal distribution and an ice factory. Shortly thereafter the watering
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
trough at the spring fell into disuse, and the spring itself was boarded over.
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8459.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
 
Location. 30° 43.486′ N, 95° 33.022′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Texas, in Walker County. Marker is at the intersection of University Avenue and 10th Street, on the right when traveling north on University Avenue. The marker is located in the southwest corner of the Founders Park along the sidewalk. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huntsville TX 77320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bedias Indians (a few steps from this marker); Site of First Masonic Lodge Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Gibbs Store (about 400 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Huntsville (about 400 feet away); Site of Pleasant Gray's Trading Post (about 400 feet away); Sam Houston Whittling Site (about 400 feet away); The Five Courthouses of Walker County (about 500 feet away); Walker County (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
 
Huntsville Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
2. Huntsville Springs Marker
The view of the Huntsville Springs Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
3. The view of the Huntsville Springs Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180359

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024