Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lawton in Comanche County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Historic Homesteads

 
 
Historic Homesteads Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Armstrong, March 28, 2021
1. Historic Homesteads Marker
Inscription.  

This home and the Earl Ingram Homestead east of here were both built out of the round granite core stones that cover the hillsides of the refuge, and both were acquired during the 1901 land lottery held at Fort Sill. They reflect the hard work, ingenuity, and craftsmanship of earlier generations.

In 1942, the U.S. Army used the right of eminent domain to acquire the Ferguson and Ingram Homesteads to expand the artillery range of the adjacent Fort Sill. Fifteen years later, the planned expansion had been scrapped, and the Homesteads became part of the refuge.

The Benjamin Ferguson Homestead bears silent witness to our regional pioneer history.

Captions:
This sectional map was used as an ad to entice settlers to come to the Wichita Mountains region for the 1901 land lottery.
Courtesy of Oklahoma State University Libraries, McCasland Maps Collection

Completed in 1927, the Fergusons lived in this house until 1942. It was listed on the National Historic Register for Historic Places in 1981 as "an excellent example of local architecture using locally available materials."
Courtesy
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
USWS


The Earl Ingram house sits back from the road in a grove of trees about half a mile east of the Ferguson Homestead.
Courtesy USWS

The Ingram Homestead included the "Midway" gas station, located about a quarter mile east of the house.
Courtesy Museum of the Great Plains
 
Erected by Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1927.
 
Location. 34° 43.004′ N, 98° 36.335′ W. Marker is near Lawton, Oklahoma, in Comanche County. Marker is on Cache Meers Road (State Highway 115) one mile east of State Highway 49, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Meers OK 73558, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The New Deal Comes to the Refuge (here, next to this marker); Ancient Natural Refuge (here, next to this marker); Ferguson House (a few steps from this marker); The Civilian Conservation Corps and Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge (approx. 1.1 miles away); Chief Stumbling Bear Pass (approx. 7.8 miles away); Cpt Riley L. Pitts (approx. 10˝ miles away); Camp Doniphan (approx. 11.1 miles away).
 
Historic Homesteads Marker and Shelter image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Armstrong, March 28, 2021
2. Historic Homesteads Marker and Shelter
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. This page has been viewed 348 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180403

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024