Near Taylors in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Tigerville got its name from early settlers who settled here shortly after the Revolution. They called bobcats they saw here "tygers," and named the nearby Tyger River, Head of Tyger Baptist Church, later Tyger Baptist Church, was founded about 1800. A community grew up here, centered at the intersection of the State Road, built in 1820, and the Tugaloo Path, an old Indian trail.
The first post office here opened in Lemuel Jennings' general store in 1881, with Jennings as postmaster. Tigerville, described as "charming and romantic" in 1883, boasted several large houses, and an academy. Jennings' store, later operated as Wood General Store for almost 90 years, still stands nearby, as does J.H. Roe & Co., built in 1904.
Erected 2009 by Greenville County Historic Preservation Commission. (Marker Number 23-39.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Landmarks • Notable Places • Settlements & SettlersSouth Carolina, Greenville County Historic Preservation Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
Location. 35° 4.086′ N, 82° 22.115′ W. Marker is near Taylors, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is at the intersection of North Tigerville Road and Route 414 on North Tigerville Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Taylors SC 29687, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. North Greenville Baptist Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); To the Glory of God (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mush Creek Baptist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); David Barton Home Site (approx. 1.8 miles away); Mountain View School (approx. 2.6 miles away); William Few Bridge (approx. 4.1 miles away); Poinsett Bridge (approx. 4.3 miles away); John H. Goodwin House (approx. 4.9 miles away); Campbell’s Covered Bridge (approx. 6 miles away); a different marker also named Campbell's Covered Bridge (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylors.
Also see . . . Tigerville, South Carolina. Tigerville is a small unincorporated rural community in Greenville County, South Carolina, United States. (Submitted on May 15, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,812 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 18, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 6. submitted on May 15, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on April 18, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.