Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Flint in Genesee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Community Presbyterian Church

 
 
Community Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, August 26, 2021
1. Community Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  The Community Presbyterian Church grew out of the Civic Park community, which General Motors established in 1919 through its Modern Housing Corporation to provide housing for its Flint workers. Several Presbyterian families in the area first met in December 1919 for a Christmas party, and by 1921 the group had grown so large that a formal Presbyterian church was organized. The Reverend Orville H. Wood became the first installed pastor in 1922 and served until his death in 1949. The congregation’s first building was an old construction barracks located at the corner of Hamilton and Chevrolet. The basement of the present Gothic-inspired edifice was completed in 1924, and the sanctuary, in 1927. The stately blond-brick structure features stone trim and leaded glass windows.
 
Erected 1982 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0826.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1921.
 
Location. 43° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2.324′ N, 83° 42.99′ W. Marker is in Flint, Michigan, in Genesee County. Marker is at the intersection of West Dayton Street and Chevrolet Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Dayton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2505 Chevrolet Ave, Flint MI 48504, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civic Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Berston Field House and Playground (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Nelson Webster House (approx. 1½ miles away); St. Michael Roman Catholic Church (approx. 1½ miles away); Genesee County Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Freedman House (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Daniels House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Boomtown (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flint.
 
Community Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, August 26, 2021
2. Community Presbyterian Church Marker
Community Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, August 18, 2021
3. Community Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 27, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180449

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024