Near Falfurrias in Brooks County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Starr and Zapata counties,
Created March 11, 1911
Organized September 2, 1911
Named in honor of
James Abijah Brooks
Captain of Texas Rangers, 1882-1906,
member of Texas Legislature,
County Judge, Brooks County
Falfurrias, the County Seat.
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 522.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 11, 1911.
Location. 27° 5.67′ N, 98° 8.801′ W. Marker is near Falfurrias, Texas, in Brooks County. Marker is located in the Brooks County Safety Rest Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Falfurrias TX 78355, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brooks County’s Catholic Heritage (approx. 9 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 9.1 miles away); Brooks County Courthouse (approx. Our Sons, Our Brothers, Our Friends Memorial (approx. 9.1 miles away); Brooks County War Memorial (approx. 9.1 miles away); Falfurrias (approx. 9.2 miles away); Fallen Heroes Memorial Park (approx. 9.2 miles away); Flowella (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falfurrias.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2021, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2021, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.