Edinburg in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Hidalgo County Jail
A new jail was built in 1922; this became community center, and served as a meeting place for civic groups until 1931; then was city hall until 1966.
Now the Hidalgo County Museum, its tower houses a hanging trap actually used only once, in 1913.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3746.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
Location. 26° 18.153′ N, 98° 9.707′ W. Marker is in Edinburg, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is on East McIntyre Street east of North Closner Boulevard (Business U.S. 281), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 E McIntyre, Edinburg TX 78541, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Edinburg Junior College Auditorium (approx. 0.3 miles away); Southern Pacific Depot (approx. 0.4 miles Sgt. Alfredo "Freddy" Gonzalez Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); La Trinidad United Methodist Church of Pharr (approx. 6.6 miles away); St. Paul Lutheran Church (approx. 6.9 miles away); San Antonio & Rio Grande Railway (approx. 7 miles away); The Pharr Riot (approx. 7.3 miles away); Guadalupe Cemetery (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edinburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2021, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 164 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 28, 2021, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.