Saginaw in Saginaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Saginaw Post Office
In 1889, at the urging of Saginaw Congressman (later governor) Aaron Bliss, the Congress appropriated one hundred thousand dollars for the construction of a new federal building in Saginaw. During the next several years the project stalled as city leaders rejected two different sets of plans drawn by U. S. Treasury Department architects. Congressman William Linton, who represented the Saginaw district from 1893 to 1897, persuaded the government to draft a third design. William Aiken, the newly appointed supervising architect of the Treasury Department, submitted a final plan, which was enthusiastically approved by local officials in 1897. On May 11, 1897, Saginaw Postmaster A. G. Wall dug the first spade of dirt during ceremonies celebrating the start of construction. William Linton becam Saginaw's postmaster in 1898.
Inspired by Saginaw's French heritage, architect William M. Aiken designed this stately "French chateau" to house Saginaw's post office. Aiken once wrote that the corner towers represented the "defensive feature of frontier life." The building, which opened July 4, 1898,
Erected 1995 by Bureau of Michigan History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L125.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission, and the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is May 11, 1897.
Location. 43° 25.871′ N, 83° 56.113′ W. Marker is in Saginaw, Michigan, in Saginaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Federal Avenue and South Warren Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Federal Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Federal Avenue, Saginaw MI 48607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Saginaw (within shouting distance of this marker); Jeffers Park The Hoyt Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Congregational Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saginaw Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Mary's Hospital (approx. half a mile away); Bliss Park (approx. one mile away); Bliss Park Soldiers Fountain Figure (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saginaw.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places Nomination #72000652. "The Saginaw Post Office is probably the only French chateau style post office in the nation." The nomination form also includes a copy of a Saginaw County Historic Preservation Plan from 1975. (Submitted on August 30, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 29, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.