Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Corsica in Douglas County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Grand View

1882-1894

 
 
Grand View Marker image. Click for full size.
August 29, 2021
1. Grand View Marker
Inscription.  A great town while it lasted, Grand View became Douglas County's third county seat when it won out over Huston, the second and Douglas City by 11 votes in 1882. Brownsdale the first, a phantom city, had been a brief but expensive luxury. Grand View was platted that August 21st, by Kingsley G. Foster, Joe Devy and Rufus D. Prescott, the commissioners first met in the Foster-Devy store which continued to be the Courthouse for 12 years.

It was on the Ft. Randall-Mitchell and Scotland-Plankinton Stage lines and until the railroad reached Armour in 1886, the undisputed metropolis of that area.

A village of intense rivalries, Upper Grand View, the original plat, the darling of the "King" Foster-Joe Devy interests, had a bank, the D. C. Chronicle (Democratic, then Republican), a church, hotels, the courthouse and the Silver Cornet Band. Lower Grand View to its south and west and slightly lower, matched it in every particular with the S. D. Tribune (Republican), the post office in lieu of the courthouse and the Martial Band. Those bands would play at the drop of a hat to show who was who in Grand View.

George W. Atwood,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
an original Lower Town sponsor deserted that section for Upper Town in 1885, the only dereliction.

When Armour got the railroad, the exodus started but Grand View, a trifle closer to the center of the County, survived two close elections until in 1894, it had to give up the ghost. Being the county seat, it never bothered with a local Government.

Reverse

Because of space limitations, all structures have been located, but only the most important have been identified.
 
Erected 1961 by Douglas County Commissioners. (Marker Number 333.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
 
Location. 43° 23.054′ N, 98° 21.31′ W. Marker is near Corsica, South Dakota, in Douglas County. Marker is on 276th Street (U.S. 281) 0.4 miles west of 392nd Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corsica SD 57328, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Corsica Area Veterans Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Douglas County Museum (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Hockey - Helland School
Grand View Marker Reverse Side Map image. Click for full size.
August 29, 2021
2. Grand View Marker Reverse Side Map
(approx. 4.6 miles away); Onion House / Bluebird Locker (approx. 12˝ miles away); Delmont World War Memorial (approx. 12.6 miles away).
 
Grand View Marker, from the east image. Click for full size.
August 29, 2021
3. Grand View Marker, from the east
Grand View Marker, from the west image. Click for full size.
August 29, 2021
4. Grand View Marker, from the west
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2021. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 30, 2021. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180686

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024