Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glenpool in Tulsa County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Gas Processing Plant West of Mississippi River

 
 
First Gas Processing Plant West of Mississippi River Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Armstrong, April 10, 2021
1. First Gas Processing Plant West of Mississippi River Marker
Inscription.  

The gas processing industry west of the Mississippi River had its beginning near here in 1909 at the D.W. Franchot & Company Plant three miles west of this marker. Liquid hydrocarbons were extracted from gas produced with oil in the surrounding Glenn Pool. This pool was discovered on November 22, 1905 and provided raw material for the first gas processing plant. By 1920 315 plants had been built in Oklahoma.

Expansion of the gas processing industry grew out of conservation of liquids contained in natural gas. This natural gasoline as it was called initially was used to fuel the increasing numbers of automobiles. Residue gas was used to fuel oil field operations and was piped to nearby towns for heating and lighting.

With the rapid growth of gas processing in Oklahoma and surrounding oil states gas processing became a major United States industry. By 1920 natural gas and the products of gas processing constituted 58 percent of the nation's total petroleum energy production Oklahoma plants and processed 30 trillion cubic feet of gas and recovered 1.5 billion barrels of liquids by 1970.

Within a few years
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
after gas processing had spread to Oklahoma it spawned two other petroleum-related processing entities. The petrochemical and the LP gas or bottled gas industries.
 
Erected 1972 by Oklahoma Historical Society with Oklahoma Petroleum Council.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
 
Location. 35° 57.496′ N, 96° 0.688′ W. Marker is in Glenpool, Oklahoma, in Tulsa County. Marker is on South Union Avenue (U.S. 75) north of West 119th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glenpool OK 74033, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glenn Pool (a few steps from this marker); Twin Mounds Cemetery and Community (approx. 2.7 miles away); Twin Mounds Community (approx. 2.7 miles away); Sapulpa (approx. 5.4 miles away); Earle Berryhill Building (approx. 6.4 miles away); Washington Irving (approx. 6.9 miles away); Washington Irving’s Camp (approx. 6.9 miles away); Rock Creek Bridge (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glenpool.
 
First Gas Processing Plant West of Mississippi River Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Armstrong, April 10, 2021
2. First Gas Processing Plant West of Mississippi River Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 141 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180697

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 14, 2024