Armour in Douglas County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Douglas County Museum
Douglas County Courthouse and Auditor's Office
Placed on the National Register of Historic Sites in 1976, this building was erected in 1902 at a cost of $ 3,625.00 to comply with state law which required County Auditors and Clerks of Court to be located in fireproof buildings.
After the present Courthouse was erected in 1927 it was no longer necessary to house county offices elsewhere. This building then served as a lawyer's office and as storage for some years. In 1960 the County Historical Society made arrangements with the County to house their growing collection of artifacts in this structure.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
Location. 43° 19.129′ N, 98° 20.648′ W. Marker is in Armour, South Dakota, in Douglas County. Marker is on 2nd Street east of Braddock Street (U.S. 281), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 706 Braddock St, Armour SD 57313, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Hockey - Helland School Grand View (approx. 4.6 miles away); Corsica Area Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.1 miles away); Onion House / Bluebird Locker (approx. 9.7 miles away); Delmont World War Memorial (approx. 9.8 miles away); The Ravinia Consolidated School (approx. 13.1 miles away); Ravinia School (approx. 13.2 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps Camp (approx. 15.4 miles away).
More about this marker. In the first sentence of the marker, the words "Clerk of Courts" has been taped over leaving an incomplete sentence.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2021. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 30, 2021. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.