Glenpool in Tulsa County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
World's Greatest Oil Pool
Opened November 22, 1905. About one-half mile northwest of this point, Robert Galbreath and Frank Chesley brought in the Ida E. Glenn No 1 oil well. This began the great growth of the oil industry in the city of Tulsa and the state of Oklahoma.
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 172-1995.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is November 22, 1905.
Location. 35° 57.502′ N, 96° 0.688′ W. Marker is in Glenpool, Oklahoma, in Tulsa County. Marker is on South Union Avenue (U.S. 75) north of 146th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glenpool OK 74033, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Gas Processing Plant West of Mississippi River (a few steps from this marker); Twin Mounds Cemetery and Community (approx. 2.7 miles away); Twin Mounds Community (approx. 2.7 miles away); Sapulpa (approx. 5.4 miles away); Earle Berryhill Building (approx. 6.3 miles away); Washington Irving (approx. 6.9 miles away); Washington Irving’s Camp (approx. 6.9 miles away); Rock Creek Bridge (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glenpool.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, OKlahoma. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, OKlahoma. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.