Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bowling Green in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ties That Bind

 
 
Ties That Bind Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, August 28, 2021
1. Ties That Bind Marker
Inscription.  Wooster Green's sculpture by Deedee Morrison, a nationally recognized sculptor and installation artist from Greenville, South Carolina, reflects the identity and values of the Bowling Green community. In her view, public art is all about storytelling.

Our story began i0,000 years ago when the glaciers retreated and left an expansive wetland known as the great black swamp. Beginning in 1833, determined settlers drained their fields, cut down virgin forests and made a village. In 1870, Bowling Green became the seat of county government with almost 1,000 residents.

The Bowling Green railroad company was organized in 1874. It became essential to the prosperity and expansion of the agricultural, industrial and merchant sectors, eventually connecting the city to the rest of the state and nation.

Other significant developments contributed to the city's growth and vitality. Faith communities were established as early as 1833. A subscription library was founded in 1875. Gas and oil were discovered in late 1886, with more than 5,000 derricks dotting the county's landscape. Bowling Green normal school was created
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in 1910 to train future teachers; its educational purpose was expanded in 1935 and newly identified as Bowling Green State University.

Each of the eight historic bent rails of differing lengths is topped by words signifying key elements of Bowling Green's history and development and its place in Woood County.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
 
Location. 41° 22.478′ N, 83° 39.145′ W. Marker is in Bowling Green, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Wooster Street and S. Church Street, on the right when traveling east on W. Wooster Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Archbold OH 43502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome To Wooster Green (a few steps from this marker); Wiley Post No. 46 (within shouting distance of this marker); Exchange Bank (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Main Street Historic District (about 600 feet away); The Great Black Swamp (about 700 feet away); Wood County In The Civil War (approx. ¼ mile away); Wood County WWI & WWII Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Wood County Congressional Medal Of Honor Recipients (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bowling Green.
 
Ties That Bind Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, August 28, 2021
2. Ties That Bind Marker
Ties That Bind Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, August 28, 2021
3. Ties That Bind Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180772

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024