Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Red Springs in Robeson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Flora Macdonald College

 
 
Flora MacDonald College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, May 7, 2010
1. Flora MacDonald College Marker
Inscription.  Presbyterian. Founded in 1896. Closed 1961. Merged to create St. Andrews College. Was located 1 mi. east.
 
Erected 1941 by North Carolina Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number I-24.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
 
Location. 34° 48.979′ N, 79° 10.93′ W. Marker is in Red Springs, North Carolina, in Robeson County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 211) and East Third Avenue (County Road 1776), on the left when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Red Springs NC 28377, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Raft Swamp (approx. 2 miles away); McPhaul’s Mill (approx. 5.1 miles away); Floral College (approx. 8.1 miles away); Angus W. McLean (approx. 8.2 miles away); Croatan Normal School
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 8.7 miles away); Henry Berry Lowrie (approx. 9.1 miles away); Honorable Hamilton McMillan (approx. 9.2 miles away); University of N. C. at Pembroke (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Red Springs.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker shown.
 
Also see . . .  Highlander Academy. Highlander Academy, on the Historic Flora Macdonald Campus, is a continuation of the academic tradition established in 1896 with the creation of the Red Springs Seminary, the first woman’s college in the area. (Submitted on September 1, 2021.) 
 
Wide view of the Flora MacDonald College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, May 7, 2010
2. Wide view of the Flora MacDonald College Marker
Flora MacDonald Academy image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, May 7, 2010
3. Flora MacDonald Academy
The main gate to today's successor to Flora MacDonald College.
Flora MacDonald College Marker image. Click for full size.
2020
4. Flora MacDonald College Marker
The former Flora Macdonald College Campus in 2020.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,106 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on September 1, 2021, by Alexander Watson of Red Springs, North Carolina. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 30, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   4. submitted on September 1, 2021, by Alexander Watson of Red Springs, North Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180776

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024