Caseville in Huron County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
An Original 56# Rail
and Northern R.R.
(now Grand Trunk Western)
laid about 1882
Caseville and Pontiac
On July 17 1961, this was the first rail removed when the last 6 miles of the original track from Caseville to Pigeon was rebuilt with 90# rails.
The original rails were made in England by Edgar Thomson Steel in 1881 and were brought to Caseville by ship together with two wood burning locomotives and other equipment.
The line was placed in service on Oct. 8 1883.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical date for this entry is July 17, 1961.
Location. 43° 56.568′ N, 83° 16.356′ W. Marker is in Caseville, Michigan, in Huron County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 25) and Pine Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Caseville MI 48725, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Methodist Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pigeon Depot Stagecoaches (approx. 8 miles away); Bay Port Fishing District (approx. 8.1 miles away); Henry A. Hamp / Alfred R. Vogel (approx. 10 miles away); Great Fire of 1881 (approx. 10 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.